Voices for Choices
is a non-hierarchical, collective group of individuals who are working to establish and promote a pro-choice, sex and queer-positive, as well as woman-friendly presence on and around the University of Alberta campus and the City of Edmonton.
Our goals are to:
- Disseminate fact-based information on the options available to pregnant women, safer sex, sexuality, and sexual health.
- Form and expand a pro-choice community on campus and around the city of Edmonton while deepening its knowledge and feelings of solidarity.
- Reflect the values of harm reduction, sex and queer positivity, as well as feminism while also being open to peaceful, respectful, and constructive dialogue
- Create a group that is sustainable so that the pro-choice community can continue to grow and support reproductive rights .
What is Pro-Choice?
It includes the right to decide if, when, and with whom to have sex; freedom from sexual harassment; and the right to reject forced sterilization, abortion, or pregnancy. We support all three choices—abortion, adoption, and parenting— equally.
To be pro-choice is not to be pro-abortion (which is, in fact, the opposite of what we want to do!). We believe that we should let a woman decide for herself what reproductive choice is right for her depending on her own values, beliefs, culture, and experiences. We work toward removing barriers a woman may have in making a free choice by increasing the accessibility, social support, and funding for all three options. We believe that supporting sexual health and safer sex is inseparable to being pro-choice and so we will do what we can to increase the knowledge and accessibility of sexual health and contraception.
What do we do?
- Monthly general meetings
- Various activist projects. Our current project is a letter campaign concerning the misleading anti-choice advertisements in the LRT stations
- Monthly “Educate Ourselves” Nights that are open to any pro-choice individual. The EO Nights have the goal of equipping choicers with knowledge as well as providing the opportunity for us to get to know one another and build a strong pro-choice community.
Our upcoming EO Nights:
- September 23rd 7pm: “Values Clarification” with Joy Schmold, the former Sexual Health Educator of Options Sexual Health. This is our first meeting this year and so will also be our "Meet and Greet".
- October 20th 7pm: Field trip to Women’s Health Options.
- November: Lianne McTavish will speak on behalf of the Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada.
- January 28th: The Travelling Tickle Trunk will be discussing sexual health
How do I become a member?
Show up to one of our meetings! It costs $5.00 to become a member for the year, and we will be accepting new members at all times.
We are also actively seeking executive members -- people who are interested in having a more involved and active role in our group. You would participate in executive meetings (planning of events, working on funding applications, etc), and/or do things like put up/design posters, help work on our website, assist in weekly tabling in SUB/HUB, and put updates up on our blog. Whatever your talent, interest, or knowledge-level, we need your help! Contact us
if you are interested in becoming an executive.